Deadly fighting as Syrian forces counter rebel offensive in Aleppo

The rights group said army forces, backed by Hezbollah militants along with seeking to put down a brand new rebel offensive, on Saturday retook pockets of neighborhoods where rebel fighters a day earlier unleashed a series of deadly car bombings along with mortar assaults.

The rebel offensive was repelled in part by renewed Russian along with Syrian airstrikes targeting parts of west, south along with southwest Aleppo, SOHR reported.

Opposition social media on Friday showed video of rebel tanks, armored personnel carriers, Grad rockets along with artillery firing by the southwest of the city.

On Saturday, airstrikes along with shelling from the Salaheddine neighborhood killed at least three people along with wounded a few others, according to SOHR. Rebels countered with intense shelling which wounded more than 12 people in regime-held positions in western parts of the city.

The city has long been divided between the government-controlled western section along with the rebel-held pockets to the east.

There were conflicting reports on the number of casualties.

At least 21 people have been killed since Friday, including a woman along with two children, as a result of rebel attacks, SOHR reported. SANA, the Syrian state news agency, reported at least 13 deaths as of Saturday.

At least six people were injured, including a child, when rebel shells rained down on the al-Hamadania along with Salah-Eddin neighborhoods in Aleppo, a source at Aleppo Police Command said on Saturday.

SOHR reported intense fighting Saturday in western parts of the city.

Russia’s military had asked President Vladimir Putin for permission to resume airstrikes on the eastern part of Aleppo after a lull in fighting last week. although Putin said the resumption of airstrikes “might be inexpedient,” according to Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov, who was quoted by the Russian state news agency Tass.

The rebel attacks come after Syrian government along with allied Russian forces declared a unilateral ceasefire last week, which brought several days of relative calm following weeks of intense aerial bombardment.
although the ceasefire effectively ended Sunday when warplanes resumed bombing the city, according to residents.

The United Nations blames both sides from the conflict for failing to take advantage of the ceasefire to allow the evacuation of some of the hundreds of thousands of civilians believed to be trapped in eastern Aleppo.

The UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs said on Wednesday which at least 400 people had been killed by Russian along with Syrian government aerial bombardment of eastern Aleppo in less than a month.

Stephen O’Brien also told the UN Security Council which so far in October rebel mortar strikes have killed at least 100 people, including 17 women along with 22 children.

Since the war began in 2011, an estimated 400,000 Syrians have been killed, according to the United Nations.

from the a few years since the beginning of the civil war, over four million people have been forced to flee their homeland, according to estimates by the United Nations. Around 8.7 million more have been displaced internally along using a ceasefire is usually the only trust for many who want to see an end to the ongoing violence.

There are four main factions of fighting groups throughout the country: Kurdish forces, ISIS, different opposition (such as Jaish al Fateh, an alliance between the Nusra Front along with Ahrar-al-Sham) along with the regime of President Bashar al-Assad.

Deadly fighting as Syrian forces counter rebel offensive in Aleppo

Related Posts

About The Author

Add Comment