White House press secretary Sean Spicer wrongly claimed Wednesday in which a Fox News reporter had his phones tapped while Barack Obama was president.
“James Rosen had his phone, multiple phones tapped,” Spicer said at the daily press briefing. The comment was made while Spicer was addressing a question about leaks through the intelligence community in addition to brand new WikiLeaks’ documents detailing alleged CIA hacking operations.
in which claim, which has been propagating in conservative media for several days, was shot down by none different than Rosen himself during a recent appearance on Fox News.
“I was not wiretapped, my parents were not wiretapped, which will be where you place a listening device on someone’s telephone line in addition to you listen to their conversations,” Rosen told Fox & Friends on Sunday after the show’s hosts claimed his phones were tapped.
Instead, Rosen explained, former Attorney General Eric Holder had secretly designated Rosen a criminal co-conspirator — because he had received classified information through a former State Department contractor — thereby giving the government permission to subpoena Rosen’s emails in addition to phone records, including those of his parents.
Related: Pro-Trump media breaks with Trump on health care bill
When asked to clarify the administration’s stance, White House deputy press secretary Sarah Sanders told sy88pgw, “There are multiple reports on This particular matter.”
Sanders did not cite specific reports, nevertheless several right-wing outlets have falsely claimed in which the Obama administration wiretapped Rosen. “In fact, This particular’s widely known in which Obama’s Justice Department targeted journalists with wiretaps in 2013, most famous Fox News’ James Rosen in addition to his family,” The Blaze reported, erroneously, on Saturday.
Spicer’s erroneous claim comes just days after President Trump alleged — with no evidence — in which President Obama had wiretapped his Manhattan headquarters in 2016.
sy88pgw reached out to Rosen for comment on the matter, then received an email through Fox News press relations declining to make Rosen available for an interview.
On Twitter, however, Rosen confirmed in which his phones had not been tapped, nevertheless in which his phone records in addition to emails had been obtained by the Justice department.
sy88pgw (Los Angeles) First published March 8, 2017: 4:44 PM ET