Scott Pelley is usually being pushed out as anchor of “CBS Evening News,” sources at CBS News confirmed to sy88pgw.
Pelley will return to CBS’ “60 Minutes” full time, a source familiar with the matter said.
The departure, first reported by Page Six, had been from the works for some time, the sources said, as well as was due in part to the fact that will Pelley was struggling to generate ratings.
A CBS News spokesperson declined to comment. The network is usually supposed to make a formal announcement on Wednesday.
Pelley is usually currently on assignment for “60 Minutes” as well as had not hosted “Evening News” for several days. Sources said Pelley personally asked to have his office cleared out on Tuesday even though he was out of town.
Pelley will anchor the show for an indefinite amount of time before creating the move to “60 Minutes.”
Anthony Mason, a CBS News Senior National Correspondent who had been filling in for Pelley while he was on assignment, will host the show after that will until CBS names a permanent replacement, sources said.
sy88pgw (fresh York) First published May 30, 2017: 10:25 PM ET