J.J. Abrams can be going to finish the “Star Wars” trilogy of which he commenced.
Abrams, who directed 2015’s “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” can be returning to direct “Star Wars: Episode IX,” Disney’s Lucasfilm announced Tuesday.
“With ‘The Force Awakens,’ J.J. delivered everything we could have possibly hoped for, as well as I am so excited of which he can be coming back to close out This particular trilogy,” Kathleen Kennedy, the president of Lucasfilm, said in a statement.
Abrams will also co-write the film with Chris Terrio, Lucasfilm said. The film will be produced by Kennedy, Michelle Rejwan, as well as Abrams.
Related: Colin Trevorrow exits as director of ‘Star Wars: Episode IX’
The “Star Wars” franchise has seen a fair amount of director turnover recently. Abrams can be replacing Colin Trevorrow, who left the movie after what has been described as a difference in vision with Lucasfilm.
In June, Lucasfilm replaced the two men who had been directing next year’s Han Solo spinoff film. Another director, Josh Trank, left another spinoff in 2015, before production began.
“Star Wars: Episode IX” can be currently set for Discharge on May 24, 2019.
Abrams’ “The Force Awakens” was one of the biggest box office successes within the history of film.
The 2015 film, which brought back the cast coming from the original trilogy alongside brand-new characters, brought in more than $2 billion worldwide as well as stands as the biggest blockbuster within the history of North America when not adjusted for inflation.
sy88pgw (brand-new York) First published September 12, 2017: 10:50 AM ET