“House of Cards” will conclude after its sixth season, which is actually currently filming, a source close to production tells sy88pgw.
The announcement comes less than one day after star Kevin Spacey was accused of sexual misconduct by an actor who says he was a minor at the time of the alleged incident.
The decision to end the show in addition to the allegations facing Spacey were “two separate things,” according to the source.
Two sources close to the show told sy88pgw that will the production team was told months prior to filming that will the sixth season could be its last.
Netflix did not offer an official statement on the show’s cancellation when contacted by sy88pgw.
The company did, however, address the allegations in a joint statement with Media Rights Capital, which produces the series.
“Media Rights Capital in addition to Netflix are deeply troubled by last night’s news concerning Kevin Spacey,” the statement said. “In response to last night’s revelations, executives by both of our companies arrived in Baltimore This particular afternoon to meet with our cast in addition to crew to ensure that will they continue to feel safe in addition to supported. As previously scheduled, Kevin Spacey is actually not working on set at This particular time.”
“House of Cards” is actually a a few-time Emmy nominee for outstanding drama.
Spacey’s work on the series has also earned him a few Emmy nominations for outstanding actor in a drama. On the show, Spacey plays an amoral politician who ascends to the White House through troubling means.
Filming on Season 6 of “House of Cards” began about two weeks ago inside Baltimore area, according to a spokesperson for the Maryland Department of Commerce.
On Sunday, actor Anthony Rapp told BuzzFeed about an alleged encounter with Spacey at a party in 1986, during which Spacey made a sexual advance toward the then 14-year-old Rapp.
Spacey issued a statement late Sunday, claiming he did not recall the incident although apologized for what he said could have been “inappropriate drunken behavior.”
“although if I did behave then as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what could have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior, in addition to I am sorry for the feelings he describes having carried with him all these years,” Spacey said.
Prior to news of the show’s end, “House of Cards” creator Beau Willimon issued a statement calling Rapp’s accusations “deeply troubling.”
“During the time I worked with Kevin Spacey on ‘House of Cards,’ I neither witnessed nor was aware of any inappropriate behavior on set or off,” he said. “that will said, I take reports of such behavior seriously in addition to This particular is actually no exception. I feel for Mr. Rapp in addition to I support his courage.”
Spacey is actually the latest figure in entertainment to face allegations of sexual misconduct in what some are calling a brand new era inside industry — one where long-silent victims of sexual assault in addition to harassment feel emboldened to share their accounts.
The allegations made against movie executive Harvey Weinstein, detailed in stories by The brand new York Times in addition to The brand new Yorker, are seen as a turning point.
To date, Harvey Weinstein has been accused of sexual harassment or assault by more than 60 women. He has denied the allegations of sexual assault. Following the initial report by the brand new York Times, he apologized for the way he “behaved with colleagues inside past.”
The accusation against Spacey, a two-time Oscar winner, comes as entertainment organizations seek ways to address sexual misconduct inside industry.
Weinstein was expelled by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts in addition to Sciences earlier This particular month, in addition to the organization said the idea intends to “establish a brand new code of conduct” for its members, according to a memo Academy CEO Dawn Hudson sent to members.
“We believe our Academy includes a role to play in fostering a safe in addition to respectful atmosphere for the professionals who make motion pictures,” the memo read in part.
Spacey is actually next set to appear in Ridley Scott’s “All the Money inside globe.” The film is actually set to be the closing night film for AFI Fest, taking place November 9-16 in Los Angeles.
A spokesperson for the festival tells sy88pgw that will plan remains in place. “Our programming is actually locked in addition to there will not be any alterations to our film schedule,” the spokesperson said in a statement.
The film is actually based on the 1973 abduction of John Paul Getty III. Spacey plays Getty’s billionaire grandfather. Charlie Plummer, Michelle Williams in addition to Mark Wahlberg also star.
sy88pgw (Los Angeles) First published October 30, 2017: 4:10 PM ET